Thursday, December 27, 2007

Web 2.0 Awards - Threadless

This is a really cool way to explore the best of what's out there in the web 2.0 universe, and I found many sites that I had not known existed. Also, this seems like a good way to sift through the plethora of sites and tools that are multiplying like rabbits and pick out the best from amongst them. I was pleased to see how many categories of sites and services are covered in this process as well.

I have used Threadless before to shop for cool T-shirt designs, but I had not really thought of it as a Web 2.0 tool until I saw it listed on this awards page. In retrospect, this site is certainly in line with the Web 2.0 philosophy of user generated content and it is a great example of how we are fast becoming the arbiters of cool rather than simply consumers of what others think is cool. Kind of like the democratization of cool, since designs can be added by customers and "voted" on in a sense by the number of people who purchase them. This site also offers designers an interesting way to be compensated for their work, so that is an added bonus for users to contemplate when evaluating the site. All in all, I think the award for best retail site was well chosen in the case of Threadless, and I urge those who have not yet checked it out to do so.

No comments: