Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm into IM

Before I began my graduate studies, I was ambivalent about IM and its uses. Since then, I have come to appreciate the spontaneity that IM affords users, allowing them to communicate thoughts and ideas in a much more interactive manner than is possible with email. I have had many opportunities to text chat and IM with classmates and friends who are hundreds of miles away, and I have to say that this technology has made cooperative, synchronous learning not only possible but exciting as well. The ability for several participants to bounce ideas off one another in real time can greatly enhance cohesiveness and productivity. On the other hand, because the technology is so ubiquitous, it can sometimes be a distraction to accomplishing other work. Like all technology, it is definitely important to balance your immersion in IM with other work, and means of socialization. Done correctly, IM is one of the most productive ways to communicate thoughts and ideas quickly and collaboratively. It is exciting to think of ways in which libraries can begin to more fully utilize that potential in our everyday work.

No comments: