Sunday, November 18, 2007

RSS

I have to admit that I am slowly coming around to RSS... honestly, I sometimes feel like there is just too much to keep up with already through my normal news delivery channels. However, after listening to several of the presentations on the benefits of RSS I have decided to give it a shot. What I do like is that I am in control of the channels and therefore the type of content that I receive. In essence, RSS works like a funnel to bring all the news sources that I find useful and informative together in one location. Subscribing to new feeds is easy, as was signing up for the Google Reader account since I already had a Google ID established from my blog.

On the other hand, that same ease of adding new feeds could potentially dilute the benefits of the service. It only took me a few minutes to add a dozen or so interesting feeds, and I doubt that it would take much more time to build my subscription list even further, but having more feeds also means that I would need to spend more time reviewing the content delivered by each. Luckily it is also easy to unsubscribe, but balancing the right number of feeds for each person is something that deserves consideration.

No comments: